Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Kanye West's Video - RUNAWAY

My thoughts on Kanye Wests' new and first video are the following; I thought the story line went well with the lyrics, each song worked well for the different scenes in the film.  I thought that the message he was trying to get across might be that its okay to be different and if anything its a good thing? I'm not entirely sure, what makes me think this is the scene where he takes the girl wearing all the feathers into the room with the people all in white suits all looking the same, a man turns to him and says "your girlfriend is very beautiful" he then continues to say "did you know shes a bird, like a monkey in a zoo" and Kanye stands up and begins the song "runaway". It seemed like he was standing up for the girl and didnt care that she stood out from the crowd because thats what he liked about her, that she was different and unique, once again, I'm not sure if thats the message he was trying to get across, but thats a bit of a sense I got from it.  Another scene that made me think this is when the girl begins to talk about the ballerinas and how they are "turned to stone", they all looked the same it was almost as if they had no identity. I think it was a good first video for Kanye West, and knowing how he is, I'm sure there will be more to come, I dont particularly like Kanye West's personality, hes arrogant and completely obsessed with himself, but i guess he can afford to be.  Im sure there will be many more films by him in the future. Does anyone know what the film is actually about?

1 comment:

  1. Runaway...I hope they don't end up using that song in a Nike commercial. Could you imagine? Kanye on the piano, and the girl flying with a pair of feathered Nikes on?

    Seriously, though. I think your review sums it up. In the film I think he was standing up for what he loves, even though what he loves is not accepted by our world.

    ReplyDelete